Monday, November 22, 2010

Filters vs Features

Do you need a better noise filter?
I just read a two year old post by Chris Brogan that really struck a chord with me.

His post is about Twitter. But from a much broader perspective, at the heart of the discussion is the balance between filters (tools that help us block out some of the noise) and features (new apps, platforms, or products that supposedly add to our productivity, but can also be major sources of noise).

Both are necessary and useful. But I think we, as a marketplace and as an economy, are placing too much emphasis on the features.

Do you think there's a market for some new/better filters?

1 comment:

  1. I'll admit to wanting all the new gadgets and features for my insurance website. And like most people, I own not just a cell phone but "a smart phone." When everyone else has something it's hard not to jump on board.

    I think people were much happier before PC's and cell phones came around. I'd be OK with the whole of it being filtered out.

    ReplyDelete