Tuesday, November 16, 2010

6 Marketing Lessons from the WWE

My kids' dream job.
I have never considered myself a fan of professional wrestling. Never watched a wrestling match. Never cared.

But I have two small boys.

Those of you with kids, especially boys, are already chuckling to yourselves. For those of you who don't have kids, or boys, let me explain: Boys do not have varied interests. Rather, they go through what we poor parents refer to as "phases". During said phases boys obsess (perhaps that is too weak a word?) about whatever it is that they are currently into, be it Bob the Builder, Thomas the Train, Pokemon', Bakugan, Nerf Guns, Star Wars, or alas, World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE).

As you probably guessed by now, my two boys are 100%, certifiably, batshit-crazy-obsessed with the WWE. Therefore, I have spent my Friday nights for the past several weeks watching Friday Night Smackdown. I'm only slightly ashamed to say I kind of like it.

I tend to look at everything through a marketer's lens, and if nothing else, I have come to respect the incredible marketing machine that is the WWE. According to Wikipedia, the WWE has been in business since 1953 and now employees 585 people, has annual revenues of over $100 million, and holds almost half a billion dollars in total assets. It didn't get that way by being bad at marketing.

So, without further adieu, here are five marketing lessons from the WWE that we can all try to apply to our own businesses:

1) Be Bold - You'll never get to the head of the pack by following everyone else. You have to stand out from the crowd. We all talk about having a unique selling proposition, but the WWE is one of those unique organizations that has truly found its USP, fostered it, and ridden it to the top. The characters (also known as "wrestlers") they employ are not only unique, they're impossible to forget.

As a result, many have become household names and brands in their own right: Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Randy Savage, Jesse Ventura. And more recently: The Rock, The Undertaker, Edge, Kane, Big Show, Ray Mysterio, and John Cena. Chances are you've heard of at least a few of these. If not, ask the nearest ten year-old. (Or just wait - they're probably coming soon to an arena, movie theater, or state capitol near you!)

2) Tell a Story - I'll let you in on a little secret that I've only recently learned - The WWE is not about wrestling! It's more like a soap opera for boys and young men, and it's all about the plot. When Kane and Edge face off in the ring, it isn't about who is the better wrestler, it's about how Edge is going to retaliate for the illegal choke slam that Kane pulled during his match with Otunga last week, or how Kane is going to retaliate for the kidnapping of Paul Bearer (see video below!). There is always a subplot for indoctrinated fans. The more you watch, the more you know, and the more you know, the more you want to watch. Does that sound like a recipe for success?

3) Be Unpredictable - In my limited viewing experience, often the opponents in a WWE match do not even finish their match (it's not about the wrestling, remember?). Right in the middle of a match, some new person will burst onto the stage (also known as a "ring"), and BAM! - the plot thickens. I'm often left asking my nine year-old, "What just happened?". But I can't say it isn't entertaining! You never know what is going to happen next, and that keeps the viewers (also known as "customers") coming back.

4) Be Controversial - A corollary to all of these storylines and subplots is that something controversial is always happening. Someone is always cheating, someone is always out to get someone else, and occasionally, someone even gets kidnapped and hog-tied (like I said, it's entertaining!). In the world of marketing, controversy = interest. Take all the interest you can get.

5) Have an Adversary - The first time I watched wrestling with my boys, I was shocked when, right in the middle of what looked like a pretty serious match, a gang of wrestlers in matching black and yellow shirts stormed the ring and proceeded to pummel both of the opponents who started the match! My nine year old explained to me that these guys are The Nexus - they're the bad guys (though if you really get into it - which I totally don't - they aren't really "bad" per se, they've just been shunned by the establishment and joined The Nexus as a way to get a leg up in this crazy world). But I digress...My point is, having antagonists is what makes a story interesting. Good guys would be boring if there weren't any bad guys. Maybe you should go out and try to make some enemies!

6) Don't Take Yourself Too Seriously - I bet you didn't know there are over thirty types of specialty matches in the WWE. Oh yeah - there's the Battle Royal, the Casket Match, the Inferno, Hell in a Cell, Lumberjack, Strap, Triple Threat, and my personal favorite, the Punjabi Prison! I have no idea what any of this means (though my 6 year old could tell you in frightening detail), and that's the point - you don't have to know what it all means to enjoy it, and every WWE fan knows that the rules will all be broken anyway, so just enjoy the show!

So...Indulge me and check out the three minute video below courtesy of WWE Fan Nation.
Is it stupid and pointless? Yes. Is it entertaining? Hell yes! Is it marketable? Apparenty so!





The WWE, Friday Night Smackdown, The Nexus, wrestler names, and associated terms, names, or marks are registered trademarks of the WWE and/or its affiliates. Any trademarks and/or associated names or terms are used or mentioned herein for editorial purposes only.

1 comment:

  1. Really great points. My son is still a baby, but I know a lot of fathers with older kids bang on about how their kids are into the WWE. Now I know why.

    ReplyDelete